Modern-day kilts have evolved from the classic plaid wool and cloth garments that were worn leather kilts centuries ago. Today, kilt designers are creating styles out of unique materials that appeal to modern gents. One of the latest styles to come from kilt makers’ workshops is the leather kilt. Read on to learn more about them.
If you’re not familiar with the term, a kilt is a long skirt that is made for men, not women; although women now wear kilts, too. The classic kilt originated in Scotland and was typically made out of plaid fabric called tartan. As times have changed, new types of materials began to be used for kilts and leather kilts were born.
A leather kilt is a men’s kilt that is made out of the material leather. Genuine leather is produced from the hide of an animal, usually a cow; however, lamb, ostrich and goat leather is also available. A vegan leather or PU leather kilt is made out of a plastic material that is designed to look and feel similar to the real thing. These “fake” leather kilts are less expensive and may be preferred by vegans and vegetarians. Today, leather kilts come in a variety of colors. Black and brown are more traditional, but you can also find kilts in red, blue, green and other hues.
Styles of Leather Kilts
These come in many different styles. Some are designed to bring to life the look of classic tartan kilts. These designs usually have flat panels in their fronts and pleats along their sides. Most kilts of this type will have buckling strap closures. More modern versions may feature cargo pockets or have edgy embellishments like chains or studs.
Some of these kilts are inspired by biker gear rather than classic kilts. These include chaps-style kilts that are made to wear over trousers or jeans and asymmetrical gladiator-style kilts that are on the short side.
Caring for Leather Kilts
This kilt requires some special care to keep it in good condition. Follow these tips to ensure that the one you purchase keeps looking like new for as long as possible:
1. Avoid washing a kilt, as every time you launder it, you remove some of the leather’s natural oils. If the leather gets dirty, try spot cleaning it with a cleaner made especially for genuine leather.
2. To keep the leather supple, apply a wax-free leather moisturizer or lotion to your kilt on a monthly basis. Follow the instructions on the packaging for best results.
3. Hang your leather kilt in a cotton garment bag in the closet rather than plastic. Cotton will allow the leather to breathe. Never hang it up without a bag to protect it, as colors from other clothing could rub off on it, and it could become scratched or damaged in the closet.
Burning Man is right around the corner. What are you going to wear? This year, you can stand out and feel cool and comfortable in a hybrid kilt. Hybrid kilts are always a hit at music festivals, and if you get custom made kilt, you can be certain that you’ll get one that will fit you and perfectly reflect your individuality and sense of style.
Why Hybrid Kilts for Burning Man?
A hybrid kilt is a heavy-duty utility kilt made out of two fabrics instead of just one. There are a number of reasons why utility kilts are perfect for Burning Man. They feature a:
– Unique Look. In current kilt market hybrid kilts are unique. You’ll be the only guy at Burning Man wearing your custom-designed kilt.
– Durable Design. Although kilts are incredibly comfortable, they are made from heavy-duty fabrics and are carefully sewn to make them strong and long-lasting. They’re the perfect choice of clothing to hold up to all the sand and the effects of the hot sun at Burning Man.
– Practical Storage. The kilts feature different storage options like pockets and pouches. You can carry many items in your kilt, so you can spend the day enjoying the music festival and not having to head back to your campsite constantly to get things you need.
– Cool Fit. Hybrid kilts are much cooler than trousers or shorts, and they let you dance with ease! You’ll look and feel sexy in kilts.
Creating Your Own Hybrid Kilt for Burning Man
– Compare Styles. To start designing your perfect utility kilt for Burning Man, choose the style you prefer from a wide range of options. Each kilt has a different combination of features with different styles of pockets and pouches.
– Select Your Main Color. Once you have found the kilt you like the best, you can choose from many different primary color options for the kilt’s waist and main body. Pick a neutral color or a bold one that will stand out; the choice is up to you.
– Choose Your Accent Fabric. After you’ve picked the main fabric for your kilt, you can select the one that will be used for the box pleated and in some designs as trim for the pockets and pouches. There are a number of camouflage, cross and Tartan fabrics that you can choose from.
– Pick Your Hardware. To put the perfect finishing touch on your kilt, pick the hardware finish that you like from matte black or silver brass.
Highland games are becoming more and more popular across the United States, and if you’re planning to attend one you don’t have to fret about what to wear. The kilt is the perfect thing to sport when you head out to enjoy a day at the games due to the long tradition that the kilt has in Scottish culture. The guide will tell you everything you need to know about choosing a kilt for highland games.
What are Highland Games?
Highland games are festivals that originated in Scotland during ancient times. Typically held in the spring or summer, the events include demonstrations of bag-piping, drumming and Scottish dance and athletic competitions. Participants in the sporting events toss long poles known as cabers, stones, hammers, weights, sheafs and other objects to show off their physical prowess. Parades may be held, and there are usually vendors selling merchandise, food and drinks.
Choosing a Kilt for Highland Games
Men who participate and volunteer at highland games will usually wear kilts that represent their Celtic heritage, and many attendees choose to wear them, too. When you’re considering kilts for highland games, think about:
1. Your Heritage. Are you Scottish? If so, you can choose a kilt with a tartan that reflects your family’s lineage. Like coats of arms, certain plaid patterns are representative of heraldry. You can do some research to find out what tartan is associated with your family name.
2. Your Sense of Style. Do you like something classic? If so, a plaid kilt is definitely the way to go and will have you matching the other gentlemen at the highland games. Want something a little simpler? A utility kilt in a solid color may be more for you. Like to stand out in a crowd? A leather kilt, denim kilt or printed kilt will have you attracting attention!
3. What You Need to Bring With You. Just like pants, kilts usually have storage to help you carry your essentials. Sporrans or removable pouches are mini purses worn at the front of a kilt for carrying items. They usually give a kilt a more classic look. Contemporary kilts often feature pockets like pants. You can find kilts with just a couple pockets or with deep cargo pockets and loops for holding tools. Before you start shopping for a kilt, it is a good idea to figure out what you might want to bring to the games, so that you can make sure you choose a kilt with the right amount of pockets or the right size sporran.
Want some helping selecting the perfect kilt for a highland game? We’ll be glad to assist you. At Scottish Kilt, we have dozens of different kilt designs available to suit your needs and your tastes, and everything that we carry is made to measure to ensure that you’ll look your best at the event.
Burning Man is fast approaching, and that means it’s time to start thinking about what you’ll bring along to wear during the music festival. You want to be able to dance, keep your most important items within easy reach and look great throughout the festival. Utility kilts will help you do all of that and are perfect for braving the harsh desert climate of Black Rock.
What Is a Utility Kilt?
This kilt is a modern twist on the classic kilt worn by Scottish gents. Like conventional kilts, these kilts feature flat fronts and pleated sides but they are made from heavy-duty fabrics similar to the materials used to produce work wear kilt. The look of utility kilts is much more modern than a standard kilt, and the design includes pockets that allow you to carry many different items just like you can with a pair of cargo pants.
Why Pick a Utility Kilt for Burning Man?
One of the best things about Burning Man is that you’re free to express yourself and be who you are. Kilts break from convention and allow you to be an individual. Utility kilts can withstand the sand and the hot sun, and you won’t believe how cool and comfortable wearing a kilt is. You’ll be able to dance without worry due to the roomy fit of the kilt. Plus, all of the pockets let you walk around Burning Man with your essentials secured, so you won’t have to be weighed down by a heavy backpack or bag.
Things to Consider When Choosing Kilts
There are wide array of utility kilt designs available. To choose the one that’s right for you, you’ll want to consider the appearance of the kilt and look for one that matches your sense of style. There are other things that you’ll want to think about as well, including:
– Closure. Some of these kilts snap closed while others are fastened with buckling belt straps. You can choose which kind you like the best.
– Storage. Utility kilts come with detachable and removable pockets in different sizes and shapes, so you can select one that will give you the right amount of storage.
– Other features. You may want a kilt with D rings for attaching gear, with belt loops for wearing a belt or other features.
Custom Utility Kilts for Burning Man
The best part about buying this kilt is that the kilt that you select will be tailored just for you. You get to choose the type of fabric that your kilt is made from and pick out the finish on the hardware that you prefer. If kilts are made to measure, then it is guaranteeing that your utility kilt will fit you perfectly. You can even specify the length of your kilt to get as much or as little coverage as you desire.
A modern kilt can be a stylish, cool alternative to jeans or trousers for everyday wear, work or an occasion like a musical festival; however, if you want to make sure that you get the most out of your new kilt, you need to take a few things into consideration before you start shopping. This checklist of important points to consider will help you ensure that you pick the best kilt to suit your sense of style and your overall needs.
1. What Style Is Right for You?
Think a kilt is a kilt? Think again! Modern kilts come in many different styles, including:
– Utility Kilts. A utility kilt is usually made with durability in mind and can be worn to work or for play. The material is usually thick to resist wear and tear.
– Hybrid Kilts. A hybrid kilt is made out of two kinds of fabric in most cases with one fabric used for the body and another used for the pleats and trim. They’re fashionable and functional.
– Camo Kilts. A camouflage kilt can be worn for outdoor adventuring or on the street.
– Denim Kilts. A denim kilt is a cross between your favorite blue jeans and a kilt! These styles are ideal for work and for play.
– Prints. Printed kilts have graphic embellishments that make them unique. These kilts are typically more for fashion.
2. What Type of Material Do You Prefer?
Kilts can be made from a wide variety of materials. Cotton is soft and breathable, perfect for wearing on hot days. Polyester tends to be heavier and less likely to wrinkle, while poly cotton blends are an in-between choice. Leather kilts have an edgy look but require frequent oiling and regular maintenance to remain in good condition.
3. What Kind of Storage Do You Like?
Modern kilts may have a storage pouch called a sporran or pockets that are either built-in or detachable. Either type of storage solution can come in handy when you’re on the go, but many men prefer one over the other. Keep in mind that the size and number of pockets can vary from style to style. It is a good idea to think about what you want to carry with you before you shop for a kilt, so that you know what type of pockets you’ll need.
4. How Much Do You Have to Spend?
Modern kilts can range in price from as little as $80 to upwards of $200 depending on their fabrics and features. Have a budget in mind before you begin to shop.
Whether you want a simple utility kilt in a solid color or something unique like a denim kilt or printed kilt, select a perfect style for yourself.